[TowerTalk] Yaesu mast clamps

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri May 19 11:06:53 EDT 2017

I've had a 4L Steppir plus a couple of VHF antennas on a 2800 for 4
years w/o problems and no thru/shear bolt.  One thing I learned a long
time ago was to torque structural bolts with an alternating and repeat
pattern with a torque wrench to spec (probably about 15 ft-lbs for the
8mm 2800 bolts, there is no spec in my manual).  Then wait a couple of
days and then tighten to torque spec again. Clamping loosens as the
materials relax or yield a bit as the stress redistributes.   A $20 HF
3/8" click torque wrench is cheap insurance if you don't have one.

Grant KZ1W