[TowerTalk] Cams

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon May 29 10:14:43 EDT 2017

Search for "1080p IP camera" on amazon and ebay.  Pretty good video
quality. Ethernet wired and 802.11, various focal lengths, w/wo pan tilt
zoom, night sensitivity, IR leds, etc etc.  Prices and capabilities are
all over the map.  I chose two different IP67 weatherproof cameras, one
for top of tower, mounted on a 40m beam boom checking out the view and
another at the shack looking at the whole tower.  Full 4K video IP
cameras are also available, $200 and up.  However, that is lots of data
to handle if full 30fps video.

The problem I found is poor (Chinese, like awful) documentation.  I went
with POE which is probably a bad choice for a number of reasons - noise,
cable length, hard to filter.  I couldn't make them work, and a more
techie (ex uSoft) ham couldn't either.  It took a network guru friend
the better part of a day to make two different models work.  Both are
1080p same pixels but one has better video so there are things not in
the specs.

I recently tried a Blink cloud home monitor system, IP 802.11 cameras.
Again, hopeless install problems as their software sucks (they don't do
the security basics correctly and have incomplete 802 specs).   $169 for
two cameras and access point.  They did call back and support got it
working.  I don't need to wonder how that business model works: small
profit minus the cost of 2 hours of engineering support from Boston.
Good thing the VC's are paying, otherwise they'd be broke.

Grant KZ1W