[TowerTalk] trencher

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 1 21:50:31 EDT 2017

I wouldn't use a trencher.  I owned a ride on 6" chain 37hp Ditch Witch
at my ranch and did several thousand feet of 18" deep trenching for
water lines.  Deeper for power and propane lines.  In dirt a charm.
Rocks ~ 6" and >2" roots could bounce the machine like a rodeo ride.
Decomposing sandstone was a slog.  And if dry dirt, a mini duststorm.
An extremely well engineered hydraulic system and a Deutz diesel that
was a champion.

For 1400' of trenching, I would strongly recommend renting a mini
excavator.  A 4000 to 6000# class machine with a 12 or 16" bucket. (It's
a lot easier to work in a 16" wide trench)  Beats a backhoe hands down
when a loader isn't needed.  I now have a Kubota 3200
tractor/loader/backhoe but covet an excavator most of the time when
digging.  Excavator advantages: Being able to shift from dig to drive
and not change seat positions, the rubber treads keeping the machine in
place without outriggers, the 360 deg swivel and reach over into dump
trailers or trucks, and a pusher blade for refilling the trench (it's
NOT a dozer) make them winners.  Fast, powerful, and flexible.

I would also go a bit deeper than 12".

The most important advice is not how to operate one.  In 1400' you will
learn enough to do a decent job but your trench may not be as straight
as you would like.  Most important is hands and feet off the controls
whenever any helper is near to the work space.  They will kill and also
put big dents in stuff.  The experts can do a ballet with these, and
that is way above my pay grade.  Some equipment I rent has a switch for
Turtle or Rabbit speed mode, and I'm usually a Turtle for safety.   Some
yards are picky who they rent to, insurance binder wanted for real big
$$$k stuff (free from my Allstate agent), GC licensed, etc.  Others want
a valid credit card only and you are caveat emptor.  Every delivery
driver was nice about giving the crash "how to" course.  Knowing how all
the safety interlocks work is important when the machine won't obey.

Have fun!

Grant KZ1W