[TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??

bear bear at bearlabs.com
Fri Oct 13 12:42:05 EDT 2017

> From:"john at kk9a.com"  <john at kk9a.com>
> To:towertalk at contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower base over ROCK (shale) experience??
>
> I have all tapered bottom pier pin bases with star guys and I never heard
> any noise or saw base movement. It is important that the concrete base can
> handle the downward force and that it will not slide sideways. The tower
> anchors are extremely important so you still have the challenge of digging
> those three holes though the shale, following the factory specifications.
>
> John KK9A
John,

This has been a big hold-up.
The guy anchors.
My thinking has been anchor reybar IN the shale, pour concrete, guy
point then being part
of the reinforcing structure. AKA, have to pull out and up the shale for
a failure. SO, how deep
or over what surface area/how deep does one have to sink holes into the
shale??

There's no "digging" through a solid shale surface that shows scrapes
from glaciation! :D
(been there a long time)
> Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:37:24 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Wilson  Lamb"<infomet at embarqmail.com>
> To:towertalk at contesting.com
> Subject: [TowerTalk] [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]Tower Base Over Rock
>
> If you actually have solid rock, why have a base for the pier pin at all?
> Seems one would drill for the pin, set it in epoxy or cement, and be happy?
> WL

No go.
The ground aka shale surface is non flat, in most places it is sloping,
but even on the flat, it is not flat...
and I still need to make the base hinge and tilt over...
(that is still possible with the pin, with some modification to the tilt
base scheme, or so it seems)

                                 _-_-