[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding connection to tower legs

Clay Autery KY5G at montac.com
Mon Oct 16 19:32:41 EDT 2017

On 10/16/2017 6:18 PM, jimlux wrote:
> On 10/16/17 3:44 PM, Clay Autery wrote:
>
> Just off the cuff, I think this would be overkill for *lightning
> protection*, which is why you don't see this approach in the usual
> commercial radio installation handbooks (e.g. R56)
>
> you don't worry so much about low resistance or contact area - if it's
> reasonably close, the lightning current will arc from one to the other
> and a high current spark is VERY low impedance.
>
> And with a long strap, if it does arc underneath, you've got somewhere
> for pressure to build up.
>
> What *is* important is mechanical strength - as Jim K9YC pointed out,
Well...  For me?  When I have many thousands of dollars in equipment at
risk, there is no such thing as "overkill".  :)

Anything I can do to pump as much of the strike into the ground prior to
entry into the shack, and thence to reduce the step potential, I will
do.  :)
It doesn't take that much "extra" to do a job right.

Who said anything about a "long strap"?  I was responding to the man's
question about the clamp...
But since you bring it up.... yes...  a strap as wide as I can make
work, AND as short as possible and of sufficient mechanical strength to
stand up to the forces imparted. Apologize...  I assumed that those were
givens.  <big smile>