[TowerTalk] right sizing strap for tower connections

Jeff Blaine jeff at ac0c.com
Mon Oct 16 20:10:10 EDT 2017

In the discussion of the ground connection, a mix of guys commented or sent
pics of round conductors where others are using strap.  The general comment
was that strap is better which I think means lower R & L for the run.

At the outset I was planning to use 3-gauge stranded insulated wire which I
have a lot of on hand.  Wire would run from the tower leg clamp, over to the
edge of the concrete and then down to a copper ring bus where the individual
runners to the rest in-ground stuff was.

But for the conductor run from tower leg to ground system I am wondering
what width of strap would be better than the 3 gauge stranded wire.  While I
realize that wider is better on the strap width, I wonder what width of
strap would approximate the 3-gauge wire?

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie