[TowerTalk] Fire hazard with inverted L ??

Lee Bahr L at w0vt.us
Mon Sep 4 17:19:16 EDT 2017

I don't know what power level you are thinking of running but I have
seen a couple fires from full limit power.  The last was at W5MP. He was
using his L-4B amplifier feeding commercial Ladder Line.  He had just
put up a new antenna and draped the ladder line horizontal over some
shrubs temporarily while checking it out.  He intended to put the ladder
line on standoffs after the test.  What happened next was he started the
shrubs on fire.  It almost caught hold on his house.  Commercial Ladder
line DOES have insulation over the two parallel lines.  I'm sure you
would have no problem running 100 watts or less, but with an amp, I
would make sure the antenna does not touch tree limbs.  I've also seen
where an antenna burned a 1/4 inch deep trench into an oak tree.  That
ham was running 500 watts of AM.
Lee, w0vt

---