[TowerTalk] Tuning raised radial verticals

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Sep 8 20:19:48 EDT 2017

On 9/8/2017 3:19 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> I was motivated by Jim's post to dig deeper into measuring my 160m T
> antenna performance.  A number of questions herein for experts willing
> to dig thru this.
>
> My 160m T has 8 elevated radials and I measured the currents, they
> vary about 3:1.  That seems significant.  Given the "make radial
> currents equal" advice,  what performance am I losing with unequal
> currents?   How do I tweak my EZNEC Pro4 model to generate unequal
> radial currents without introducing loss?  Then, if there is more than
> a db or 2 azimuth asymmetry from the 8x 120' radials how would I
> equalize the current in them?

All of these questions are answered in N6LF's 2-part piece in QEX. The
short answer is that power lost is I squared R, and if current is much
higher on one radial than another, the loss increases as the square of
the current.

> The T is PE insulated Davis CCS 13.5ga.  All 8 radials are elevated
> 10' using #12.5 aluminum electric fence wire and are 120'+/- 4' long.
> Pretty much a sweet spot in the N6LF analysis.

As I posted here several times, including in this thread, N6BT advised
me that 16-20 ft is a minimum height for 160M, and someone else posted a
guideline that suggested even higher.

> The initial as measured currents sum of radial vs vertical was
> different by 0.13a.  This led to a calibration of the MFJ which
> discovered the 1a scale used for the vertical current measurement was
> reading high by 20%.  The 100ma and 300ma scales were within 5% except
> below 30% of full scale, which I  think is error from the sense diode
> forward drop.
A suitable RF ammeter is easy to build -- all it takes is a coil around
a ferrite clamp (like the MFJ) driving a DC microammeter through a
rectifier with filter capacitor and current limiting resistor (which can
be a pot).

> I agree that for 2 to 4 radials equal currents are desirable, unless
> an azimuth gain skew is desired as with a CrankIR "on the beach".

While skewing of the horizontal pattern happens, the primary concern is
loss in the radials.

> Somewhat related is AC6LA's sample modeling with 8 equal radials shows
> minimal differences in azimuth gain (0.1db) due to the coupling to the
> T top wire for a T similar to mine.
> https://ac6la.com/aecollection3.html
>
> It also seems to me that there is a number of radials at which the
> concept of radial resonance makes little sense.  It is like asking
> "what is the radial resonance of a large sheet of perfect conductor or
> for seawater under a vertical".  And then as is seems likely in my
> case the metal structure couplings (towers, building) are the reason
> the nearby radial current is high, how would changing the resonant
> frequency affect the current?  Or would it be better (rhetorical
> question) to remove high current radials to force more "equality"
> (the radials are pretty much equal angular spacing as installed)?  Or
> add more radials where the currents are low?
>
> Lot's of questions when a model meets a measured real world
> situation!  Am I missing something?

Yep. Study Rudy's piece again. :) I've been through it a couple of
times, and spent about 4 hours each time.

73, Jim