[TowerTalk] Painting fiberglass

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Sep 13 08:26:30 EDT 2017

You probably don't want to hear this but...

Sanding is not a good way to remove wax from a fiberglass surface.
Mostly it just smears the wax around.  The sand paper quickly becomes
contaminated and ineffective for wax removal.

Sanding is a great way to provide "tooth" to improve the bonding of the
paint to the fiberglass.

Washing the surface of the fiberglass with a solvent that "cuts" the wax
is a far better method.  Wiping fiberglass with solvent dampened rags
is  N O T good either as it just smears the wax around.  Spraying with a
solvent is much better.

A good approach is to wash the wax off and then sand to get tooth.

Not convinced?  Check with folks who do a lot of fiberglass work like
boat repair guys.

It is possible to get a terrific looking finish but not have the paint
properly bonded to the substrate (fiberglass.)

Patrick        NJ5G