[TowerTalk] MFJ service

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 08:07:53 EDT 2018

I agree.  I don't know how many products they offer but it has to be in the hundreds.  The ham market is small and a lot of hams are let's say.... "thrifty".  There are a few who would complain about a company's quality and also ask how to disassemble ten dollars worth of 25 year old aluminum tubing that got stuck together.

If we are going to make comparisons to what people think are good companies, let's compare to Elecraft.  They have a small number of different products to make right.  Anyone who has not had too large a dose of Kool Aid and has owned one or more K3 transceivers will know that it is one thing after another regarding design problems.  Tin plated pins connecting the front panel to the radio.  Big problem. 100% of the first ?000's had the problem.There are several similar situations which cost more to have fixed in three years than all the repairs I ever had on other radios I owned over 30 years.

When Kenwood realized/admitted they had an ALC overshoot problem with TS-590, what did they do?  Repaired every one of them at no charge and paid return shipping.

MFJ has been around a long time and have helped a lot of hams with accessories they could not have afforded elsewhere.  I doubt their failure rate is as high a percentage as some companies who don't sell 5% of their volume in number of products sold.

73. Stan, K5GO

Sent from Stan's IPhone