[TowerTalk] My 3El 40M Experience

W1JCW John W1JCW at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:18:31 EDT 2018

I'm a Mosley guy since I was 11 starting with a TA33jr.

Since then have TA53/40 and CL-33/40. 40m - 10m with warc hard to beat. Have DXCC just on a 40' tower. Now going to 100' tower should offer some exciting contacts even with the low end of the cycle.

I do have a SteppIR as well picked up a 3E for $300. Haven't had it up yet but one thing after another. Water gets into the housing many ways seizing the motor, spool come apart as they are glued, drive sprockets break, tape gets jammed up.

Now my TA53 been up for 12yrs in Texas, ice, heat and lots of power from my Acom 2K through it. Not one single issue, even in the big pile ups I'm heard.

Would love to put up at 67 or 96 from Mosely. That is a big antenna.

Thanks for the tips on stabilizing the beast.

73-
W1JCW
John