[TowerTalk] Do some HF Tri-Banders receive more noise than others?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 19 15:19:06 EDT 2018

I don't know of a reason that insulated or grounded elements should make
a difference, IF all else is identical.  what W8JI has to say
https://www.w8ji.com/pecipitation_static.htm  Same height AGL may not be
the criteria for some noise.

Some thoughts:

What I've experienced that does matter is the pattern - F/B, F/S and
details of what higher angle lobes might look like. My 40m Moxon is
noisier (not by 3 S units) than my 3L full size 40m. Different heights,
thus different peak elevation gains, but also large differences in F/B,
F/S and high angle lobe.  Same results for my 4L steppIR vs
monobanders.  Some of the following are also likely contributors to the
differences.

You don't mention the band you measured, is it the same delta 10-15-20?
Are the coax routings the same to the towers?  (buried better than
catenary) Is there much difference in the coax route ability to pick up
noise?  How are they routed and ground at and up the tower?  (routed
inside and grounded top and bottom)  Same shack end ground/bonding
panel?  Is the mast grounded for both? (jumper around rotator
bearings)   Noise sources nearest the towers?

F12 balun? Not sure what it's choking capability is, others have
commented re chokes.

Any chance a driven element insulator is degraded? UV? Arc path? Dirty?

"Both are fed with 1/2" Heliax" - nice but I hope not for the rotator
loop as it is known that cracks develop in the shield = noise.

Investigating most of the above might be simpler and cheaper than a new
antenna.  But, if it isn't the antenna choice then back to same
problem.  Or swap antennas on the towers, but a bit of bother.

Grant KZ1W