[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 08:29:58 EDT 2018

On 8/27/18 11:37 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> I totally agree.  I can't think of a single valid reason why a plate is
> even a little bit better than simply a tie point at the base. I've often
> wondered why folks don't simply use the addon bus bars for electrical
> panels that you can buy at any Lowes or Home Depot. They are relatively
> inexpensive, have screw connections, and make a fine non-corroding
> contact.  They can be daisy chained together for as many radials as you
> have the ambition to put down.  And if somebody wants to be a purist
> about it, four of them arrayed in a square around the base makes way
> more sense than a plate.

Indeed.  The only hiccup I've encountered with that style of connection
is that they're designed to be inside a service panel or equivalent, and
protected from the elements. They're also designed for fairly large
diameter wire (i.e. 14 AWG or bigger).  Most radials I've seen mentioned
are smaller diameter, and I'm not sure the screw/anvil combination would
make good contact with smaller wire.  You could probably shove a bunch
of wires in one hole and crank down on the screw, but I'd feel better
with soldering them.