[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Aug 29 08:19:35 EDT 2018

>"Braze the radials to the ring using the same silver solder plumbers use.
It comes in sticks about  18" long and 1/8" wide; the alloy is  15%  silver,
lead free.  You need something hotter than an ordinary propane torch; I use
MAPP gas, which works just like a propane torch."

I found that MAPP isn't a viable substitute for oxy-acetylene, especially
when making many connections using 15% silver-solder bars.  Possibly the
MAPP gas mixture produced higher temps at one time, but today's generation
of cylinders offer only slightly better heat over propane.  Just my
experience.

The beauty of oxy-acetylene is that: (1) there's very little wait time; the
connection point comes up to heat almost immediately, even when a connection
has a heat sink; and (2) the mixture of the two gases is easily adjusted to
produce a clean blue flame, free of any carbon.  I once used acetylene only
but the carbon build-up often prevents making a solid connection.

Three years ago, I purchased a portable Lincoln Electric oxy-acetylene torch
kit for USD $180 USD.  The tanks are small and fills cost about USD $35.
One charge lasted through the recent installation at my remote site of more
than 100 connections.

Paul, W9AC