[TowerTalk] Solid 160 radial plates?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 29 08:39:46 EDT 2018

On 8/29/18 5:19 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> "Braze the radials to the ring using the same silver solder plumbers use.
> It comes in sticks about  18" long and 1/8" wide; the alloy is  15%  silver,
> lead free.  You need something hotter than an ordinary propane torch; I use
> MAPP gas, which works just like a propane torch."
>
> I found that MAPP isn't a viable substitute for oxy-acetylene, especially
> when making many connections using 15% silver-solder bars.  Possibly the
> MAPP gas mixture produced higher temps at one time, but today's generation
> of cylinders offer only slightly better heat over propane.  Just my
> experience.
>
> The beauty of oxy-acetylene is that: (1) there's very little wait time; the
> connection point comes up to heat almost immediately, even when a connection
> has a heat sink; and (2) the mixture of the two gases is easily adjusted to
> produce a clean blue flame, free of any carbon.  I once used acetylene only
> but the carbon build-up often prevents making a solid connection.
>
> Three years ago, I purchased a portable Lincoln Electric oxy-acetylene torch
> kit for USD $180 USD.  The tanks are small and fills cost about USD $35.
> One charge lasted through the recent installation at my remote site of more
> than 100 connections.

I would heartily second this suggestion.
I sweated a lot of copper pipe and soldered wires with propane and did
some hard soldering with MAPP in the past, but once I started working
somewhere with access to nice oxy-acetylene, I'll never go back.

With respect to the sooting problem with Acetylene, you can use ethylene
- it's almost as hot, works with same torches, but because its C2H4
instead of C2H2, there's a lot less soot. I haven't seen it in the small
bottles, but that doesn't mean it's not available. Unlike acetylene,
it's not stored dissolved in acetone at low pressure, so handling is a
little easier. You might need a different regulator - As I recall, it
takes the same regulator as CNG or Methane.

You have the one with the bottles that are about 4-6" in diameter and a
foot or foot and a half tall? In a little caddy which you can carry around?

  Which tip did you get for the torch?

The problem with moving to real welding rigs is that all of a sudden,
there's a bewildering variety of tips and accessories.  I suppose, if
you went down to the local welding supply place and told them what you
wanted to do, they'd give you decent recommendations. So you can avoid
the giant "cut steel ships apart" torches.