[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Doug Ronald doug at dougronald.com
Wed Dec 5 19:42:15 EST 2018

Okay, as long as we're talking VNAs, I have a question:

I am making an automatic antenna tuner, the sensor of which is a pair of
AD8302s, and a pair of AD8362s. I made a 36 dB Tandem Coupler which has a
forward and reverse RF output. The two 8362s input the Fwd, and Rev ports,
and output a DC potential proportional to the power received from each port.
>From those I calculate forward power, reverse power, and VSWR which all
works according to plan.

Onto the AD8302s. Both have one input from the Rev port of the coupler, and
the other AD8302 input is a voltage sample of the transmitter input port,
one at no phase shift, and the other AD8302 gets a 90 degree phase shifted
transmitter input port to resolve the ambiguity inherent in the AD8302
design.

So, at the microprocessor end of the RF head, from the AD8302s I have a DC
voltage proportional to the phase relative to the incident transmitter's
phase, and from the AD8362s, I have a DC voltage proportional to the power
received from the forward and reverse ports of the coupler. My A/D converter
gets these voltages into the microprocessor.

My end aim at this point is to read the complex impedance of the antenna,
but what I'm looking for is the exact math's to get me from the above
defined DC voltages to a (x, jy) number.

Can anyone help with this, or refer me to an online reference? Needless to
say, I've exhausted my search capabilities, and have only found the source
code for a TAPR VNA which I could plow through to get the answer, but that
would take a lot of time...

Thanks,
-Doug, W6DSR