[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 5 19:55:08 EST 2018

On 12/5/2018 3:47 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>   All the analyzers mentioned have a HF or VHF frequency limit but I rarely need measurements beyond VHF.

The FA-VA5 goes to 600 MHz, the VNWA 3e to 500 MHz with 90 dB dynamic
range, and 50 dB up to 1.3 GHz. Like you, I rarely need to measure
equipment or antennas above 6M. I do, however, do most TDR sweeps from
100-500 MHz, sometimes go higher to get greater time/distance
resolution. For those who don't know, the resolution of a TDR sweep
increases in direct proportion to the width of the sweep. By
"resolution," I mean the ability to see fine detail. I've never seen the
N2PK VNA, but have heard nothing but good things about it.

BUT -- last I heard, it only went to about 100 MHz, which is a
significant limitation for TDR. That's part of what comes with being
"early" -- having to design with older parts, or parts that are cheap
enough when you're doing your design.

73, Jim