[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Gary K9GS garyk9gs at wi.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 19:42:16 EST 2018

Last year I had a need for a very small, compact analyzer for a trip to Central America.
I ended up buying one of these:

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-223
It worked great for what I needed it for, charges with a USB wall charger, and is very compact.
I don't have a problem with broadcast transmitters nearby so I  can't comment on how it will work on topband.
Was also very handy for FD.

73,
Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com> Date: 12/5/18  5:23 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: towertalk at contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers
A big HP system is totally impractical for the average guy.  I have a
rack of the old stuff here so i'm not saying it's got no place, rather
when you are out in the rain and the mud, you need something that's not
going to take a cart to pull around, a bunch of power and does not weigh
100 lbs / box.

The VNWA is a nice unit but it's WAY WAY WAY to delicate for serious
field work.  The newest variation with the micro USB is a step back
because that connector is far more fragile than the old hunk-square type
A USB connector.  Guys who use them "all the time" in the field are
apparently much more disciplined than I am.  The other issue is that it
requires a computer to work.  So it's workable on the ground, but if you
have to go up the tower, then it's a problem.  And the software is a
long way from intuitive - but it does work fine once you figure out how
to use it.

The myVNA software used with the N2PK requires virtually zero learning
curve.  I love the GUI and the N2PK but this is even more non-portable
in that my N2PK requires a parallel port to drive it as well as the
computer.  So it's attracted to the bench and never goes for a field trip.

The MFJ has a weakness for local BC stations but the reason a zillion of
those were sold is that they are reasonably accurate, self contained,
rugged and don't have tiny parts that are easy to break.  No wonder it's
the average ham's most used go-to analyzer.

Because of the BC station problem, I bought a Rig Expert 55 Zoom and
really like it.  As with the MFJ, it's 100% self-contained, rugged, has
a plastic case which helps keep rain and field crud out of it, and
performs basic VNA-type stuff that I had to do previously with my VNWA.
The RE also has the VNA-type ability to calibrate at the end of a hunk
of coax.

I'm sure there are other gadgets out there that would do a fine job but
to my eye the Rig Expert is the best all around most utilitarian device
for the "antenna analyzer" job assignment, with the MFJ259 a distant 2nd.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com