[TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzers

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 5 15:00:21 EST 2018

Thanks for this excellent summary, Wes. The only ones you've reviewed
that I own are the SDRKits VNWA and the FA-VA5.  I don't find the UI of
the FA-VA5 quite as awful as you do, but it certainly could be improved.

I often export data from antenna measurements to AE6TY's excellent
SimSmith software to design matching networks and compute feedline
losses. This requires a Touchstone file, which is a plain text format
developed by HP years ago for data interchange. DG8SAQ's VNWA software,
which supports the N2PK and FA-VA5 analyzers as well has his own, the
VNWA built and sold by SDRKits produces Touchstone files.  A friend owns
a Rig Expert unit that does not produce Touchstone files, but does
produce a file that ZPlots can read, and ZPlots can export that data as
a Touchstone file.

Another important point is that while many of the modern analyzers can
do TDR to measure the length of transmission lines and find splices and
faults, the VNWA software is particularly good at this. You make a wide
sweep of the line (I most often use 100-500 MHz), and the software does
an inverse FFT of the data to convert the measured frequency response to
the time response, and gives the user to select five different windowing
functions and three different excitation pulses, all of them
post-processing measured data.  This allows the user to select the
windowing function that provides the best view of the data, and to use
an excitation that displays the impedance of each segment of the line
being measured!

I've recently completed the first phase of a study to use S11
measurements of the impedance of 2-turn chokes wound on 2.4-in toroids
to characterize them and to identify them by their "mix," the number
assigned by Fair-Rite, the manufacturer of most ferrite cores we use.
Two turns was chosen because that puts the choke's impedance within the
5:1 - 1:5 ratio to the 50 ohm system impedance where Z measurement has
the greatest accuracy.  A quick summary of that work is at
k9yc.com/2TurnTests.pdf

It should be noted that VERY careful calibration of the analyzer is
required for these measurements. It took me three tries to get to the
end of the alligator clips where the test chokes were connected. I did
these measurements with DG8SAQ's VNWA software controlling the FA-VA5
analyzer.  The clips are plugged onto the ends of a BNC to male Pomona
(double banana) adapter, which is attached to a 5 ft RG142 BNC to BNC
cable. I accomplished the calibration by adding a pair of BNC to N
adapters to the cable for calibration, thus lengthening the cable to
approximate the added length of the clips and BNC to Pomona adapter.
The apparent resonance around 29 MHz in some of the choke measurements
is the result of the calibration starting to lose accuracy.

73, Jim K9YC