[TowerTalk] Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Sat Dec 15 23:28:40 EST 2018

There may be different grades or styles of concrete Bin blocks.  The ones
shown here:  http://www.redirockmd.com/bin-blocks/ mention using structural
fiber reinforcement which is not the same as rebar and I see no indication
of how the hook is attached. Jersey Barriers are a different shape and
pretty long I think. I could see some uses for premade concrete blocks in
temporary setups or maybe even a pier pin base but I think it would require
more research before using them for guy anchors on a permanent 150 ft tower.

John KK9A

[TowerTalk] Concrete Bin Blocks for Guy Anchors
jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 20:07:02 EST 2018

I've seen the 5000 pound blocks (about a cubic yard) used for anchoring
guys on professionally erected structures, so maybe some have rebar,
some don't.

K-rail/Jersey Barriers definitely have rebar, and are often available
inexpensively - for a "field day" kind of op where you need it for a
week, they're rentable.  They typically have a couple holes through them
through which you could loop a guy anchoring sling.

20 foot K-rail is 8000 lbs. (at least the ones in Southern California..
they may differ by region)

A few hundred dollars each to buy them.