[TowerTalk] Where Do I go?

Bill Gaines ad8p at wcoil.com
Thu Feb 1 13:47:45 EST 2018

In the not too distant future I am contemplating a move to a much larger city. Having lived in small town USA almost all of my ham radio life I need some information to try and get out ahead of something.

In the small town in which I live there are almost no tower restrictions. There were no restrictions when I moved here 45 years ago. All I did then was call the local city employee who was a jack of all trades for them and asked him about towers. Back then there was no cable TV so everyone had a TV tower. When I built my garage all he said was to build no closer than 6’ to the property line. Things were much simpler back in the day. Before I purchase a house in this larger city I need to know what department of the city or township I will need to get in contact with to determine if there will be hurdles I will encounter. Is it usually zoning? Does one usually need a building permit to install a tower?

I am just in the beginning stages of this search but armed with the proper information beforehand can save me a lot of grief later on.

Thanks in advance,
Bill AD8P