[TowerTalk] 160m vertical

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 4 15:07:08 EST 2018

>  Isn't there some restrictions on structures that can effect the field-strength
> when the structure is near a BC station? I want to remember that if your
> tower affect the field-strength distribution of a BC station you have to take
> measure not to disturb it.
>
> I am sure, if you have any sizable voltage/current induced by a nearby BC
> station you certainly change the radiation pattern from that station.
>
> Just something to be aware of.
>
> Hans - N2JFS

I recall a rule that commercially licensed stations must take the effects of their tower on nearby BC stations into consideration, but I have never seen anything in Part 97 requiring  hams to take a similar precaution, nor have I ever heard of a ham receiving a notification that his antenna was causing a problem.  As I recall, even a 50 ft tower as far as a mile away may affect the directional pattern of some AM BC arrays.

Don k4kyv