[TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Thu Feb 8 11:33:13 EST 2018

Each state in the USA has different regulations on the different
agencies that can be created between parties.  In Colorado, There is a
Exclusive listing contact where the listing agent owes all allegiance
(fiduciary duty) to the seller of the home, there are some caveats that
where all material defects must be disclosed. The Buyers agent owes all
allegiance to their buyer.  Then we get in to what is called a
transaction broker or facilitator.  These agreements state that the real
estate agent will act to get the deal done but with a very limited scope
of what they will do for either side.    At any rate I am sure that many
states require the agent to provide written disclosures on what each of
these agencies encompass.  Read them!

If you are at all unsure you should always seek the opinion of a Real
Estate Attorney.  Real Estate agents are very limited in the what they
can do and what they should say.  We are allowed to practice real estate
law in a very very limited fashion. Outside of what we are allowed to by
law, it has to be handled by an attorney.

A Realtor is a real estate agent that has joined the National
Association of Realtors.  Not all agents are Realtors, especially in the
commercial side and being a Realtor does not make them any better than a
non Realtor.  In the past you had to be a Realtor to participate in the
multi list programs to list and view houses. That has changed over the
years.

Agents commissions are negotiated between the agents. Buyers/Transaction
agents are not always paid by the sellers agent but that is how it
normally works.   The listing agent pays the buyers agents from his/her
commission.  Buyers agents and transaction agents have no allegiance to
the Home owner/seller.

Each State will be different so do your research.  Ask lots of questions
and if in doubt get an attorney.

W0MU