[TowerTalk] Weather station on tower

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 10 09:29:47 EST 2018

I use a Davis Vantage Vue. It’s mounted on the side of my tower and uses spread spectrum RF comms between the instrument pod and the display station.

I shunt feed the tower on 160 m at 1500 W. I’ve never gotten into it and have never heard a peep from it. The only problem I’ve had is that after 6 y or so, the anemometer bearings are failing. Also, you will need to access the instrument pod to occasionally replace a lithium battery that powers it during extended darkness or very cloudy days — it otherwise uses a solar cell and super capacitor for power.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith