[TowerTalk] Al-to-Al

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Feb 14 09:30:13 EST 2018

On 2/13/2018 8:47 PM, Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk wrote:
> "Not intended for use with aluminum where galvanic corrosion
> could be a significant issue".

If I saw comments from the MFG telling me to not use the product where
galvanic corrosion could be significant I'd listen up.

Galvanic corrosion is another way of saying dissimilar metals corrosion.
   If   A L L   metals in contact with each other are the same then no
galvanic corrosion. I'd be leery of a powdered copper in a paste agent
on an aluminum to aluminum or aluminum to xxxx joint.

Back when the big rocks were still hot I took a sabbatical and did some
marine field service engineering.  (Commercial radiotelephone lisc with
ship's radar endorsement) I saw lots of antenna installations where coax
shields were connected to aluminum antenna mounts welded to the vessel's
aluminum superstructure. Typically a stainless steel bolt would hold a
tin coated copper terminal (ring or spade) to the aluminum antenna
mount, sometimes with silicone caulk over the connection.  Galvanic
corrosion ate big pits or made holes in the aluminum.  Improperly
protected shield would be mush or gone and sometimes the terminals were
eaten or nearly so themselves.

The longest lasting connections seemed to be with stainless bolts with
stainless flat washers on both sides of the aluminum.  The ring or spade
terminal would then only contact the stainless. Generous cover of
silicone caulk over all exposed coax shield, crimp terminals, and all of
the stainless mounting hardware.  YMMV  but this is what I saw.   Oh,
some techs painted all exposed non aluminum components in the mix with
liquid tape before covering with silicone caulk.  They used the GE 50
year caulk, not the cheaper varieties.

Patrick        NJ5G