[TowerTalk] Fwd: Canada geese

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Feb 16 11:07:51 EST 2018

I have a quite robust modern recently purchased electric fence charger
that puts out peak voltage spikes of over 10KV. Goes off scale on my
digital Kilovolt meter with max displayable reading of 10KV. It has a
transformer that emits a very audible click/thump when handling the once
per second rep rate pulses. It is very noticeable on 160 through 6 meter
bands.  The charger itself is inside an all metal building (Faraday
cage,) while the fence of course (not inside the building) acts as a
transmit antenna for the RFI.  Luckily I have some noise blanking
options on my Flex 5000 A  and one of them makes the RFI pulses inaudible.

There may be a charger out there somewhere that doesn't cause RFI but
not the powerful ones I use or other cattlemen in the area use.  Even if
a charger does not radiate significant RFI itself nor propagates RFI via
its big antenna (fence) with dew or rain on the insulators, a blade of
grass, weed or whatever gets within arcing distance and you will get RFI
from those arcs.  Slinky gates and such with a little corrosion on their
contacting surfaces (where you open and close the  gate) will arc
sometimes. Arcs make wideband RFI.

Patrick        NJ5G