[TowerTalk] Winches

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 15:01:21 EST 2018

Forgive me if I missed the first email(s) on this subject if I misinterpret what you are talking about. I used Harbor Freight 8000# winches , two of them, until they changed to the ones with a chrome lever. I have an experience with one of them where I started letting down my 50' Rohn 25 tower and it freewheeled. I jammed on the brake handle to engage and bent the mast. Luckily saved my Steppir but did not do the mast much good.

There is a Northern Tool or Northern Farm Tool supply I get a catalog from every once in awhile that sells 'Worm Gear' winches. I bought the 8000# one from them and it is the cat's meow for raising and lowing my combination Rohn 45/25 tower. That is 930# of tower tilted at the base and can be a little intimidating standing by it raising or lowering. But it works very well. Northern now only shows the 12,000# worm gear winches now. Ramsey I believe is the brand. I have never found a better winch for raising and lowering a tower because with the worm gear it holds in any position. I have built big Quad arrays with this setup. You can look on my QRZ/KI7M page down near the bottom and see pictures of the winch and tower. Don't believe I remove that yet from my Keizer days.

Now at a new QTH outside Salem in  the country and got a Rohn 55 tower up 117' but plan on setting up my two section crankup one again. It is ideal for changing antennas and being able to work on things like Quads or Yagi's from a 10 or 12 foot step ladder. Be aware, this design while it has worked for me exceptional well for 40 foot through my 80 foot tower is not recommended by Rohn. That type of winch is not recommended for overhead lifting. Those type cost a whole lot more if you can find them. The 8000# I got cost about 1200-1300 dollars shipped. Had to get a custom mount built that was another $500 or so. Only problem with that is I can't turn on the 'freewheel' switch to unspool the wire without power. That may be a good feature after my experience seeing my tower speeding towards the ground and jamming on the break though. By the way, the 40 foot model of rohn 25 I built used a small hand crank boat winch and was great. 50 foot of tower got a little hard to hand crank and that is when I got into harbor freight winches. Funny how it takes a winch that is like 5-8 sizes stronger to raise a tower weighing like 1/8th the winches specifications. But that is how it is. When I built the two section (50' of Rohn 45 and 50' of Rohn 25) it became evident no hand winch could be used for that. Had to be something with more power than I could crank.

Terry

KI7M