[TowerTalk] Pulling coax through PVC pipe

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Jan 30 14:40:43 EST 2018

Right on, John, 4" drain pipe is cheaper, lighter to work with, easier
to cut, and is as good for conduit as the more expensive pipe intended
for water pressure.  Most of us don't put a hundred or more lbs of
pressure in our conduits so why pay for that capability.  You do need to
be careful backfilling when using S&D (Sewer and Drain) as it is easier
to damage with sharp rocks, large dry dirt clods of sun baked clay, and
the like.  Also it has to be well buried if it is to be driven over so
the down forces of tires will be distributed sufficiently. If buried
quite shallowly and the soil gets really wet then driving over it could
cause a problem. I bury mine at least a foot, sometimes 18 " or more and
have never had a problem with traffic over my conduit including a semi
full of gravel, a cement delivery truck, etc.

You may not  N E E D  a 4 inch conduit now but it could give you room
for future growth. I've never heard anyone complain about more wires
being too easy to pull into a conduit.

Patrick