[TowerTalk] Antenna Modeling

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jul 11 15:12:09 EDT 2018

On 7/11/2018 10:52 AM, Bruce Jungwirth wrote:
> I’m looking for someone in or around St Paul Mn that is fluent in EZNEC.

A principal value of EZNEC and other modeling software is as a teaching
tool, and you only learn from it when YOU do it. It's not all that
difficult to learn once you get over the fear factor. The free version
that comes with the ARRL Antenna Book will model simple antennas like
you're thinking about.

Here are several studies I've done to help think about problems like yours.

http://k9yc.com/VertOrHorizontal-Slides.pdf

http://k9yc.com/VerticalHeight.pdf

http://k9yc.com/43FtVertical.pdf

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

I am a big fan of fan dipoles. A good rule is to not try to put more
than three elements in the fan.  80/40 makes a good fan, so does
20/15/10. Although I haven't done it, i suspect that 30/17 would too.

73, Jim K9YC