[TowerTalk] Grounding Vertical Radials

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 11:22:59 EDT 2018

On 6/1/18 7:46 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Correct, I measured the currents and wanted to see the pattern
> distortion that resulted, after reading concerns about current asymmetry.
>
> Previously, I modeled very simplified towers northwest of the vertical
> (3 towers) affect on the pattern and found they were acting as
> reflectors and shifting the pattern about 1.2db to favor the southeast.
> The radial current asymmetry is a 0.4db influence in the opposite
> azimuth.  Luck.
>
> Developing a model for the steel building 56' x 70' x 14' is easier now
> with not yet tried tools in EZNEC 6.  However, how to model a Ufer
> perimeter foundation as the ground is tbd for me.  Any advice?

I doubt you could adequately model a ground network (in the ground)
using a tool like NEC (even NEC 4).  NEC assumes that the soil
properties are uniform (with some stuff like "cliffs" available), and
while NEC 4 will handle buried conductors, there's some fairly
idiosyncratic things about it.

Modeling a steel building is easy - do it like a car or ship - as a grid
of wires. The wire spacing/diameter should be chosen so that the
circumference of the wire is comparable to the spacing. (i.e. spacing =
2*pi*diameter) - big diameter wires are fine.

 From a "interaction with antennas" standpoint, I'd do some experiments
with a "thinned grid" to see how much difference adding more wires makes.