[TowerTalk] antenna modeling in the cloud

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 13:49:53 EDT 2018

I'm looking for collaborators (or even just suggestions on how to
approach it) to look at doing antenna modeling using cloud resources
(like Amazon Lambda).

Amazon will give you 400,000 Gigabyte-seconds of compute per month for free.

The cores are faster than the ones I'm running here, but as an example,
a model of crossed dipoles on a structure that I ran recently has 800
segments, and I ran 150 frequency points, with two excitation points,
and produced a single plane pattern cut of 180 points (every 2 degrees).
It was 170 seconds and was well under a gigabyte of memory consumption

So, for a free allocation, I could have run that model a couple thousand
times a month.

This is interesting because often times we'd like to run a systematic
variation on a complex model of multiple antennas.  For instance,
earlier this week I was modeling the interaction of two 20m yagis -
those runs are around 1-2 seconds. If you run every 5 degrees of skew,
that's 72 runs.  Start looking at changing the relative heights or
spacings, and you can get into the thousands of runs pretty easily.

Or - examining the effect of the soil properties changing (using
SommerfieldNorton ground) - systematically covering a range of
parameters can add up a lot of runs pretty quick.

I'm interested in this to speed up the "time to get results" - and for
some applications, I'd be happy to spend a few bucks - so I'm not as
concerned about the "run it for free" aspect.

Amazon charges 0.00001667 per GB-second after you bust the "free" limit.
So, in round numbers, I think that will work out to about 60,000 NEC
runs per dollar. And, since you can spin up an almost unlimited number
of instances at once - you could get your answer back from a 10,000
iteration study in a few minutes.