[TowerTalk] FW: Putting up wire antennas with a drone?

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 18:02:58 EDT 2018

For the past 20 years or so, I use a surgical tubing slingshot to launch 1oz to 2oz  fishing weights tied to fishing line (about 6# or 8# test) from an old spinning reel.   With the right weight I can easily clear tall trees up to about 100 ft high and the weight will still come down easily through the branches.   Once the line/weight are retrieved from the other side, the weight is removed and the fishing line is tied to a roll of mason's string which is subsequently "reeled in" over the top of the tree.   With the fishing line retracted back onto the reel and the mason's string in place over the top of the tree, the string is then used to hoist one end of a wire antenna aloft.   The process is repeated for the other end.   It's a very reliable method but I occasionally will lose a fishing weight.  In 20 years I've never had to restring the fishing reel.

Please note that unless you make yourself a special jig to hold the spinning reel, this method requires two people - one to shoot the slingshot and one to hold the spinning reel.   The reel holder should be standing  just outside and behind the shooter with the open face of the reel spool pointed in the direction of intended travel.   I have a stand about 20" tall that sits on the ground in front of me that holds my reel in the proper position so that I can put up antennas by myself.  The stand also does double duty to hold my spools of mason's string so that I can operate the reel from the other end without the string getting tangled on the spool.

A few other notes...  Mason's string is available from Home Depot these days on a little plastic hand cranked roller.   This comes in quite handy for rolling the mason's line back up after the antenna is lowered.   Also, mason's line is fine for holding an antenna up short term (like a weekend contest) but it tends to deteriorate from UV so it's not too good for a permanent installation.   Also, in persistently windy conditions, the line has a tendency to fray and break if it is constantly rubbing against swaying branches... so in windy conditions,  shooting for the base of larger branches which don't move as much helps.

Hope this info is of use and happy FD!
73
Matt  KM5VI