[TowerTalk] pultruded/polygon rod

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Mar 6 15:58:35 EST 2018

I have used/repurposed some "sucker rod" intended for use on pump jacks
(Texas Grasshoppers) to pump oil out of a well.  Fiberglass strands are
all unidirectional, and parallel.  They come with metal threaded portion
epoxied on the ends, one end male and the other female.  They are very
very strong but a tad heavy (and heavy duty.)  They have various
possibilities for ham use.  I have one (actually about 60% of one as an
extension to a 20 ft vertical pipe that holds up the feedpoint of a 180
ft by 90 ft OCF dipole (Carolina windom.)  I'm in Oklahoma where the
wind comes sweeping down the plain.  Today's gusts top out at 55MPH.  My
OCF dipole has been up for about 4 years or so with no problems.

If you were to erect one of these rods supporting it only by the
threaded metal end piece it would survive OK but would not stand very
straight due to bending under its own weight.

http://www.fiberglasssuckerrods.com/downloads.html

I found these used but in perfect condition for $20 in single lots but
cheaper in bulk.  At 37 ft for $20 that is just over 50 cents a foot and
can be screwed together using their threaded metal ends.  They are made
to be in tension and are super strong. Used unprotected in outdoors
applications. Impervious to rain and ice.  See the link for specs.

Patrick        NJ5G