[TowerTalk] fiberglass mast question

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Mar 28 14:28:38 EDT 2018

Bill, Prep with a generous solvent wash.  Do not just wipe with solvent
dampened rag as that just spreads around what you need to remove.

Paint with (preferably 2 coats) a good exterior UV stable enamel like
polyurethane enamel or a good brand of one or two part "boat"paint for
fiberglass boat's topsides.

This will likely give more than 10 years of life.  If later it starts to
look too ratty then a light scuff sanding and another coat of paint will
likely extend the life another 10 years or more.  I have had fiberglass
boat decks exposed to salt air (and water) and oodles of sunshine plus
foot traffic last over 20 years with the above recipe. It is unlikely
you will get long service from really cheap "bargain" paint.

You are using your expensive time and muscle (a valuable limited
resource), so don't ruin the job with substandard materials.

Patrick       NJ5G