[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower Permitting Spec's

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue May 1 11:46:29 EDT 2018

The reference about power line cable oscillations is interesting, I
think more applicable to wire antennas rather than masts.  I found this
thesis which delves into the issues for masts and how to use FEA tools
to analyze them (it's an MS level thesis so is at least superficially
readable by me w/o delving into the partial differential equations, etc.)

https://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1627&context=etdarchive

One observation I have is the TT discussion is conflating spoilers which
reduce the magnitude of the wind forces by spoiling the air flow with
dampers which absorb the energy of oscillations.  From the thesis:

a. Spoilers: which tend to change fluid dynamic characteristics of
structures in such
a way as to interfere with and weaken the exciting force resulting from
vortex
shedding. Some examples for spoilers are helical strakes <the car
antenna spiral>, shrouds, slates, fairing,
splitter plate, and flags.
b. Dampers: which provide a mechanism for dissipation of energy and that
leads to
an increase in the structural damping of the mast and thus reducing the
amplitudes
of forced vibration resulting from vortex shedding and finally reducing the
possibility of structural damage or failure. Some examples for dampers
are tune
mass damper, tune liquid damper, impact damper <rope inside TH7DX elements>.

Some clever ME probably has one design to perform both functions.

Grant KZ1W