[TowerTalk] Force 12 Aluma-o-weld wire

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri May 4 12:16:40 EDT 2018

I've never heard of aluminum clad MIG welding wire.  Bare or very thin
copper flash over many steel alloys are common, flux cored and solid.
Not enough copper thickness to be useful for antennas. Solid aluminum
MIG wire in various alloys.  Usually a very soft temper so also useless
for antennas.

Clad copper-aluminum-steel combinations are used in high voltage
distribution systems but I doubt anything of a size small enough for
Linear Loading antennas. http://www.rmjtcable.com/products/bare-conductor/

I use solid aluminum electric fence wire for elevated radials, available
9 to 17 ga.  High-tensile US made in my experience with 8 elevated
radials of 12.5 ga x 125' for my 160m vertical has demonstrated strength
and very little stretch.  My guess is good solid Al wire in 9 ga is
strong enough that it has replaced aluminum clad for weight, cost, and
ease of use reasons for fencing.  At 35ksi yield that is more than 300#
tension.  My F12 86' 80m rotatable dipole was LL before I changed it to
a Tornado variable inductor.  The YagiMech analysis showed it needed the
LL wire truss for strength among other mechanical weaknesses.  9ga Al
fence wire would have been strong enough to replace what was there
originally.

I have a carton (1000'?) of 11.5 gauge Alum-Clad steel electric fence
wire I bought in 2011 from Kencove.com.  I couldn't find it on their web
site today.  Free to first request if you pick it up.  I found it
impossible to work with.  Check other farm/ranch suppliers for a source
if you must have clad steel.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA