[TowerTalk] Need recommendations for a 40-10m. Yagi

Timothy Coker n6win at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 13:34:33 EDT 2018

I could be wrong... but I believe your not looking at an apples to apples windload between the two.
I’m seeing 16.5 sq ft for the JK Mid Tri w/40m and 17.8 sq ft for the Optibeam. Notice how Optibeam only lists one rating where as JK lists three which can confuse things in that Ken is giving more information.
As for the aluminum being the same... way smarter guys here than me. I’ve been curious of late if that’s really the case... I’ve been reading about some boom failures at other stations of late and there are some very adamant hams talking about the quality differences in aluminum used. Could just be angry folks, I’m no mechanical expert.
If the original op is saying he’s mainly into the contests he’s probably going to want to keep his contest yagi’s as clear of his WARCs as possible in order to avoid possible interaction so that he obtains better performance during the contests.
I first started out trying to do everything I could on 10 feet of mast sticking out of Rohn 25G. Who knows what was happening with a TH7DX at the thrust bearing, an A3WS/30m 5’ above and a XM240 driven element at 10’ above. Oh and toss in an 80m inverted V a foot below it all! :)
Going forward I’ll put my WARCs on separate structures or as temporary wires as needed. Just less for me to worry about when people aren’t returning to my CQ’s.
That’s me though. Try to make it so the scores aren’t so much limited by hardware and more by me.
Tim / N6WIN.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone