[TowerTalk] Guying a Self supporting Tower Beyond the Height of Self Support

jrquark jamesforsman at me.com
Sun May 6 08:54:11 EDT 2018

Greetings all, newcomer here.

Never having done this before, I’m seeking input, ideas and suggestions.

I purchased five - 10 ft sections of Rohn 45G, actually eight.

From Rohn’s plans for a self-supporting 45’ tower, I followed the plans and stacked the tower to 50’, I know, I know, it’s not 45’!

My wife and I bought and constructed a Mosley Pro67 c3 and and bought an Alpha Spid rotor.  All this during the last Michigan winter. We were eager to place the beam atop the 50’ tower and get on the air after a long absence from ham radio, and we thought about going up to eighty feet later.  But we changed our minds and decided to go higher and wait a bit longer..

Where do I guy it?  Eighty foot Rohn plans suggest 35’ and 65’.  But a tower climber and other hams that all had many towers under-their-belt, had other suggestions, i.e., 45’, 75’ and 80', etc.  My location is not level ground.  The three proposed anchor locations are ~90’ horizontally from the tower.  One location is elevated about 8’ , the others are ~5’ and ~10’ below the level of the tower base.

I can get the horizontal components tensions worked out so the total horizontal load at each guying height is balanced, even though the vertical component, on the three tower legs will not be the same, harrumph.

Nuf said.  Any suggestions.

Thank you for your time reading this.

Jim Forsman - K7BIE
Linda “Poo” Forsman - K7POO

P.S. We are on a forested 1.5 acre lot in Southwest Michigan.