[TowerTalk] Joining EHS Guy To Philly Guy

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu May 24 10:32:44 EDT 2018

One might presume that the thimbles supplied by guy grip makers will not
deform loaded to the rated strength of the grip.  They are definitely
heavy duty.  I've never seen a hardware/big box store with such
thimbles, but no doubt they are used.  Then the risk is the thimble
bends to less than the minimum specified bend radius of the EHS and its
strength is compromised.  And/or the thimble "U" flattens and the EHS
comes out.

The stress in the thimble in the contact area with another radius is
known as Hertzian stress, a pretty complicated topic beyond my pay
grade, but the bottom line is the larger the contacting radii, the lower
the stress levels for both deformation and fatigue failures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_mechanics\

Understanding the gross deformation of a thimble under load probably
requires finite element analysis or destructive testing.

Grant KZ1W