[TowerTalk] FM Receiver Source == Off Topic

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Nov 10 14:05:29 EST 2018

On 11/10/2018 9:06 AM, Kevin Kidd wrote:
> I am looking for a source for decent quality, reasonably priced dip switch
> programmable VHF-FM, NOAA WX and FM broadcast receivers.  With the demise
> of Hamtronics, Dayton Industrial, TFT and a couple of other small rx
> manufactures, it is almost impossible to find decent, reasonably priced FM
> receivers for broadcast EAS systems (or aux rx for rpts).

Have you considered using one of the many low cost (<$200) SDR receivers
with a dedicated computer host? Candidates include SDRPlay and FunCube
Dongle Pro+. For both, antenna input is an SMA. Each can be used with a
variety of software programs that dump RX audio into the computer's
audio interface. I'm long retired from the broadcast world, but I'd bet
that other engineers have figured out and published solutions in
broadcast engineering publications.

Or one of the older model JA VHF/UHF ham rig with wide RX coverage? One
caution with the latter -- my Kenwood TM-V71 auto switches to a local
NOAA WX channel on receipt of an alert, even a test alert.

73, Jim K9YC