[TowerTalk] Comtek ABC switch Box.

terry burge ki7m at comcast.net
Mon Nov 26 18:32:38 EST 2018

Hi folks,

Interesting to hear about the Comtek boxes. My 40 meter Comtek 4-square works a bit differently that it's suppose to. I'm not very good at telling which way the relays are suppose to work. Blame it on my eyes or just lack of understanding. You would think I'd be able to tell weather a relay was being activated or not. But the instructions and schematics such as they are leave a lot for me to desire at least.

Back to my 40 meter 4-Square. I find the NW and NE work as they should. But the SE and SW work opposite what they should. I even tried checking and switching the foam coax feeders. Went back again just because it didn't help and I was afraid the comtek switching system might not work for multiple direction correctly. I now have just change the labels to reflect that it switch NW-NE-SW-SE. You can tell by the way it picks up the Calif, SE USA, KH6, VK's and ZL's that the SW and SE work opposite what a Comtek box is suppose to work. Everything else that could be checked has been done I think.

The wiring test correct. I think I just maybe have Comtek box that was wired wrong. I don't worry about it cause just changing the labels cured the problem. But I do wonder if anyone else has seen this. I even went so far as to have DX Engineering send me a new unit. Same thing. Go figure!

If you take a look at the pictures on my QRZ/KI7M page you can see the verticals are pretty decent thanks to DXE's aluminum tubing. The heavy wall aluminum tubing proved so heavy for me to raise the verticals up and down I replaced the 2" with light weight irrigation tubing. Still hard but I manage better to get them up and lower they down.

But I still don't know why it works this way. My new 80 meter Comtek 4-Square works normally in a K8UR configuration using dipoles that are folded back towards the tower on the lower halves. Still working on getting the dump power lower but all things considered it's an improvement this season.

Terry
 KI7M

Terry
KI7M