[TowerTalk] 80m DX special dipole

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Sep 13 12:00:03 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-13 10:50 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:
> If I recall it had a flat top with three instead of one vertical drop
> wire. One drop wire was in the exact center and the other drop wires
> were each side of the center by about, I think, 30%. All were fed
> together at the bottom against a gound system.

Herb, if the drop wires are equal distant either side of center, it
would effectively be  equivalent to a "fat" vertical element (drop
wire).  If you don't mind a little experimentation, try using two wires
separated by 12" with 1/2" PVC pipe every 10 feet or so (like very wide
"open wire" line) for the drop wire.  If you have a reasonably tall
vertical element, the 12" spacing should provide decent bandwidth.

How tall is your vertical element?

I saw a multi-wire Marconi similar to what you described on the roof
of the Naval Reserve Armory in the town in which I grew up.  However,
one end of the top hat was higher than the other and multiple drop
wires were of different lengths (like a fan).  After 40 years, I can't
even remember if the top wire was broken up with insulators making the
antenna multiple parallel inverted "L"s.  I suspect it was designed for
very wide band (multiple band) operation back in the cold war days.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV