[TowerTalk] 80m DX special dipole

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Sep 13 13:20:46 EDT 2018

> Herb, if the drop wires are equal distant either side of center, it
> would effectively be  equivalent to a "fat" vertical element (drop
> wire).  If you don't mind a little experimentation, try using two wires
> separated by 12" with 1/2" PVC pipe every 10 feet or so (like very wide
> "open wire" line) for the drop wire.  If you have a reasonably tall
> vertical element, the 12" spacing should provide decent bandwidth.

YES! I'm doing exactly that with my Tee vertical for 160M. It roughly
doubles the SWR bandwidth of that antenna.

The effectiveness of vertical antennas is STRONGLY dependent on ground
conductivity both around the antenna AND in the far field in the
direction of radiation. I have lousy soil (rock) so 160 is the only band
on which I find verticals better than horizontal ones.

73, Jim K9YC