[TowerTalk] Rohn EP instructions: "Stake all nuts"; what

Jeff DePolo jd0 at broadsci.com
Mon Sep 17 16:09:51 EDT 2018

> I use Nylok's all the time.  But the Rohn supplied bolt is galvanized.
> AFAIK, they don't make galvanized Nylok's.

I've never seen hot-dip galvanized nyloc nuts, but I guess they may be out
there.  I can't imagine how the nylon would survive the zinc bath though :-)
Nylocs for stainless, obviously yes.

> Does anyone have any experience with mating non-galvanized nuts with
> galvanized bolts?  That's a no no?

Right, that's a no-no.

> I thought that they wouldn't fit due to the excess zinc material, but I've
never tried it.

Right.

In general, it's the nuts that are corrected to account for the plating.
Sometimes the nuts that are to be hot-dip galvanized are tapped deeper,
sometimes the nuts are galvanized first and then tapped.  In the latter
case, tapping after galvanizing obviously removes most of the galvanizing on
the inside of the nut.  This is generally not a problem as far as corrosion
resistance as the thread interface is protected by the galvanizing that is
on the bolt threads.

"Heavy" nuts are generally preferrable, in part for the reason that the nuts
have to be cut deeper for use with HDG bolts.  In general, good quality
heavy nuts will have one flat side ("washer face"), unlike standard nuts
that are the same on both sides, and which usually are more rounded over at
the edges, leaving less of a flat contact area.  We only buy/stock heavy
nuts for 3/8"-16 and up; the incremental cost to go from regular to heavy
nuts is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

					--- Jeff WN3A

---