[TowerTalk] rack for aluminum tubing

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 21:25:00 EDT 2018

On 9/23/18 5:19 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Looking for ideas on a rack system to hold aluminum tubing.
>
> I have reciently put up a building and have a length of wall for
> it but can't think of a great way to organize the tubing.  Like to build
> some
> sort of wood rack(s) thing that would serve the purpose.

https://www.materialflow.com/p/Economical-Material-Racks

$60 for a pair of verticals with 7 arms on each is a pretty good deal. I
don't think you could buy the parts for this as cheaply, although if you
have a lot of scrap lumber and some time, you could duplicate the function.

I find that by the time you put the diagonal bracing in to keep the
cantilevers from sagging, wood isn't as easy as metal.  If you have
front posts to hold the horizontal members, then it's hard to put long
tubes on the rack, unless you feed them in at an angle.

If you've ever wanted to learn to weld, this would be the ideal
project.. If it goes on a bit crooked, you can just bend it<grin>

here's some more commercial items:
horizontal:

https://www.uline.com/BL_156/Cantilever-Racks

vertical: