[TowerTalk] [TOWERTALK] LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Apr 3 14:12:25 EDT 2019

I used to use Scotchkoat, it was easy to apply and held up fine in
Illinois. I occasionally use big box store liquid tape on exposed screw
connections but I have not tried it over taped connectors. As others
have noted the can doesn't have a long shelf life. In recent years I
started putting Butyl between layers of tape which I believe is the
connector sealing method used by professionals.

John KK9A

Jim K9YC wrote:

I've seen recommendations for this sort of product for as part of a
strategy sealing outdoor coax splices against moisture. I see several
brands listed, most say "UV-resistant." My intended use would be in
addition to a first double wrap with a product like Rescue Tape or 3M
Mastic, and a UV protection second wrap of Scotch 88, using the Liquid
Tape for irregular areas and parts that are hard to tape (for example,
where a PL259 mates to an SO239). I would appreciate any advice from
those with experience.

Thanks and 73, Jim K9YC