[TowerTalk] MODEL FOR TOWER

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Apr 23 16:05:41 EDT 2019

There is also at least one equation I found on the web that computes the
effective diameter of a triangular tower based on it's cross-section. It
might be possible to get a reasonable approximation of the tower by
breaking the tower down into multiple sections.

The equation I found is tricky to express via email.  The equivalent
diameter is the cube root of (D x Fsquared /2), where D is the diameter
of a leg and F is the face width.

There may be a comparable equation for a tower with a square cross section.

Elaborating on Jim's method, EZNEC has a command that allows wires to be
duplicated rotated about some center point. That would allow one of the
vertical members to be modeled, then duplicated in 90 or 120 degree
increments. Cross-members could then be added between the intersections
of the "wires."

In my professional life, I generated models of large and small
performance spaces to aid in the design sound systems by studying their
coverage of the audience and their interaction with the acoustic
environment. The largest and most complex space I "built" was the Staple
Center in Los Angeles. Those models use the same x, y, z coordinate
system, and the surfaces are all planes with their acoustic
characteristics defined. In building those models, I made a table of x,
y, and z coordinates of the points defining the surfaces before trying
to build the model.  A similar approach would be applicable here.

73, Jim K9YC