[TowerTalk] MODEL FOR TOWER

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 23 21:18:20 EDT 2019

On 4/23/19 1:05 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> There is also at least one equation I found on the web that computes the
> effective diameter of a triangular tower based on it's cross-section. It
> might be possible to get a reasonable approximation of the tower by
> breaking the tower down into multiple sections.
>
> The equation I found is tricky to express via email.  The equivalent
> diameter is the cube root of (D x Fsquared /2), where D is the diameter
> of a leg and F is the face width.

This doesn't do the horizontal crossing pieces (which are actually the
most likely to cause problems - they're long, and they're aligned with
the antenna elements) and the diagonal struts.

> There may be a comparable equation for a tower with a square cross section.
>
> Elaborating on Jim's method, EZNEC has a command that allows wires to be
> duplicated rotated about some center point. That would allow one of the
> vertical members to be modeled, then duplicated in 90 or 120 degree
> increments. Cross-members could then be added between the intersections
> of the "wires."

  NEC has the GM card which can create copies rotated around a center,
and that will do the wires.  And it can do the horizontal members, too:
you build one "corner" of the structure, and tell NEC to rotate it 90
degrees and create 3 copies.
The diagonal struts, though, are the challenge.

When I've done this kind of thing, I've always just wound up writing a
short program in whatever language (basic, matlab, python) that just
cranks out GW cards for all the required members.

A program like 4nec2 can help visualize the model once you've built it.

You could, if you're ambitious, actually write a program in the symbol
handling language of 4nec2 to allow you to specify height and size at
top and bottom, and do all the algebra to get the endpoints...
But it's a pain doing that.
By the time you've done that, it's just as easy to write a program in
something else, and a LOT easier to debug it.

you wind up having a lot of statements that look like this
f.write("GW %d %d %f %f %f %f %f %f
%f\n"%(wirenum,nsegs,x1,y1,z1,x2,y2,z2,radius))

(I was actually writing python code this afternoon that does just this
and that's the actual line out of the code)

If your structure DOES have symmetry, then building part and using GM to
replicate it does model a bit faster.

I find that computers run so fast now, it's not always worth doing, but
if you're getting up to 1000s of segments, maybe it's worth while.

> In my professional life, I generated models of large and small
> performance spaces to aid in the design sound systems by studying their
> coverage of the audience and their interaction with the acoustic
> environment. The largest and most complex space I "built" was the Staple
> Center in Los Angeles. Those models use the same x, y, z coordinate
> system, and the surfaces are all planes with their acoustic
> characteristics defined. In building those models, I made a table of x,
> y, and z coordinates of the points defining the surfaces before trying
> to build the model.  A similar approach would be applicable here.

Yeah, the same basic strategy for NEC.

The holy grail of EM modeling is something that will take a mechanical
cad drawing and "grid it" - whether into wires for a Method of Moments
code like NEC or into triangles for modeling tools that want patches.