[TowerTalk] Shunt-Fed tower how-to Video

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 24 22:04:24 EDT 2019

This week I added a second gamma-wire to my shunt fed tower for 160m in order to lower the reactance and therefore lower the voltage across my matching network.  This winter I was having some flash-over problems.

While doing this work I decided to make a video that explains the method for finding the 50 Ohm point on a tower, and the effect that wire diameter has on the SWR bandwidth and reactance at the feedpoint.  I show how I use both the AIM-4170b and the AR 55 zoom analyzers.

I wanted to post the link to the video here on the reflector because over the years there have been a few questions about how to shunt-feed a tower, and this might answer some practical questions about how to go about it.  Maybe someone has a summer project in mind to turn their tower into a TX antenna?

https://youtu.be/cHlc5MTGTFM <https://youtu.be/cHlc5MTGTFM>

73, de steve ve6wz.