[TowerTalk] MODEL FOR TOWER

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 26 15:52:29 EDT 2019

On 4/26/19 10:45 AM, Gedas wrote:
> One thing I have not seen mentioned (maybe I missed it) is the fact that
> a whole lot of time & effort is going to go into generating a super
> accurate model for a complex tower and antenna system but then, what of
> the grounding of the tower itself at the base? Grounded or un-grounded
> or sorta grounded are all going to give different results.

That's easy to test in NEC. Just put a resistor between tower and ground.

I actually don't think it will have a huge effect.  the tower is
basically a bunch of vertical wires.  They'll change the tuning of the
Yagi a bit, and there will be some current in the area of the Yagi.  But
60 feet away, there won't be much current.

I'd worry more about the horizontal and sloping cross members.  They're
more "aligned" with the segments in the antenna.

However, NEC is a good way to test this. You put the wires in, and see
if there's current. If there's current, that's something to think about.

Even in NEC2, which isn't great about connections between antennas and
ground, you could do a quick check.  If you have NEC4, then it does
great at modeling wires penetrating the ground - that was one of the big
improvements from NEC2.

To be honest, I don't know why NEC4 is still export controlled, other
than LLNL has no incentive to re-examine it. It's probably not a huge
money maker (and they're non-profit anyway), but as long as someone has
to vet the recipient, they're going to charge for it.  And it probably
helps some statistics - Gerry Burke's organization at LLNL probably gets
some kudos for "number of licenses issued" (that's the way it works at
JPL) and that helps justify their funding from DoE.

> There are going to be deviations from real world results if one models
> with the limitations of objects touching the ground with NEC-2 and even
> with NEC-4.

NEC4 is pretty good at modeling things penetrating or beneath the soil
surface. The key is that at the point of contact, you need to have a
segment boundary. The recommended (in the manual) way to do this is to
have different wires for the above ground and below ground parts of the
structure. That guarantees that there's a node at the surface.

What NEC4 doesn't do well is model a wire laying on and just touching
the surface.  When I model, what I do is model the wire at 10cm, 5cm, 1
cm, 1mm, -1mm, -1cm, -5cm, and -10cm and see what changes. (assuming the
wire is <2mm in diameter).

To be honest, people have spent their lives studying the problem of a
wire just touching, or partly immersed, in a dielectric boundary.  J.R.
Wait at NIST has lots of papers on this.

The big uncertainty is the soil dielectric properties.